Friday, October 19, 2007

Research Journal 3

From Lost in Translation
Huffman's role as being involved as a double immigrant prevents her to be used to the surrounding environment in Canada. Furthermore, only if she had more deeper and clear understanding about the background and the history of the Holocaust, could she have been more desiring to go to Canada.
However, the most important key to the possibility of her different perspective is that she ought to find her own ways to overcome her isolation and hatred within the society of Canada. She should visit places in Canada where she could locate herself in the position of joyness or happiness. From then, she had better just let the time passes before her, being more mature in terms of looking one's own worldview.
I personally was similar to Huffman in that I had refused to go to America at first when my parents asked me if I would like to go abroad to further my career in education. I didn't really want to go to America, for all my friends were in Korea. Therefore, when I initiated my studying in the America on the west coast of California for two years, I actually underwent the isolation and somewhat hatred to live in the USA. Yet, as the time elapsed by and I grew up to be older, I began to look diffently of my means of the current world and the worldview.

1 comment:

caroline said...

It's interesting to read about your own personal connection to Hoffman's text. I'm wondering if the theme of isolation could be something that you focus on in your paper. Do you feel as though any of the other texts discussed the theme of isolation at length? If so, how? Did they do it similarly or differently? Just something to think about.